Snag a Used Car with the Highest J.D. Power Dependability Ratings – Part I
Each and every year, for the past 28 years, J.D. Power has released an annual study that details their findings of the most reliable used cars for drivers to purchase. The study looks at used vehicles that have been on the road for three years, and surveys car owners over a period of twelve months. Specifically, the study seeks to understand the number and type of issues that drivers had with a particular model, and whether those problems were resolved in a timely manner. This year, J.D. Power released a list of 18 different models from various vehicle categories, all of which obtained the coveted title of Most Reliable. This list is likely the most comprehensive of its kind, and should certainly be referenced as you begin your search for used cars. Dayton car shoppers who are unsure of what type of vehicle to purchase, will have a clearer idea once they dive into the results from the J.D. Power 2017 U.S. Vehicle Dependability Study.
Most Dependable Used Cars – Part I
With more than 18 different models making this detailed list, we have opted to transform it into a two-part series. In this first part, we will look specifically at car categories, and in the second part of this series, we will take a deeper look into trucks, vans, SUVs, and crossovers. Check out each of these highly dependable models below, and see if one of these top-ranked cars matches your used car hopes and dreams.
- 2014 Chevrolet Camaro – This bad boy ranked the highest in the J.D. Power Dependability study in the midsize sport car segment. Beating out the Mustang and Challenger, the Camaro took home the top spot thanks to its revised interior and exterior design, and valiant performance specs in 2014. The color driver information system and head-up display debuted on the 2014 Camaro model for the first time, as well as the Z/28 trim level option. This capable sports car boasts a horsepower rating of 505 thanks to its 7-liter V8 engine and track-like performance enhancements.
- 2014 Chevrolet Sonic – Another bowtie brand model snagged a top spot on J.D. Power’s Dependability Test. The 2014 Chevy Sonic ranked highest in the small car category, pushing the Chevy Spark and Nissan Versa to the side. The 2014 Sonic made the list thanks to a slew of enhancements made to the small car for this particular model year. A standard rearview camera was added to the LTZ and RS trim levels, and a new advanced safety package was also offered for the first time. The Sonic RS Sedan debuted for the first time in 2014, giving drivers who prefer a sportier car a more economically priced option.
- 2014 Lexus ES – Ranking the highest in the Compact Premium Car Segment is the luxury sedan from Lexus. Outshining the Mercedes-Benz C-Class, as well as the 2014 Acura ILX, the Lexus ES proved the most dependable option overall. Coming off of a complete redesign in 2013, the 2014 Lexus ES offered drivers more refined options for the first time. The ES 350 trim option also added LED fog lights for the 2014 model year, along with real Bamboo wood trim and a hybrid drivetrain.
- 2014 Lexus GS – This luxury car grabbed the highest spot for dependability in the midsize premium car segment. For 2014, the Lexus GS added Siri Eyes Free technology, an optional power smart trunk, power folding side mirrors, a full color head-up display, and a rear-cross traffic alert system. Another change made to the 2014 Lexus GS focused on the performance aspect of the sedan, which received a new 8-speed automatic transmission with paddle shifters and a Sport Driving mode on the 350 rear-wheel drive models.
- 2014 Toyota Avalon – Ranking the highest in the large car segment, the 2014 Toyota Avalon beat out the Buick LaCrosse and Kia Cadenza. For the first time in the Avalon’s history, the sedan came with a standard backup camera, while the XLE Premium trim gained a standard navigation system. Blind spot monitoring also became available as an option for the first time on the 2014 Avalon Touring model.
- 2014 Toyota Camry – The midsize car segment is one of the most popular (and crowded) in the automotive marketplace, and Toyota nailed it with the 2014 Camry. Besting the Malibu and Sonata, which ranked second in a tie, the 2014 Camry gained a standard rearview camera, and the latest generation of the Toyota Entune infotainment system.
- 2014 Toyota Prius – Despite the fact that the 2014 Prius was not the recipient of any changes or revisions for that particular model year, Toyota’s hybrid managed to earn the highest dependability rating in the compact car segment. Earning a score of five out of a possible five, the 2014 Prius proved that it is a worthy investment, able to stand up to the test of time.
As you can easily see, there are plenty of exceptional used car options available to purchase right now. With these seven highly ranked dependable cars, shoppers who need a vehicle that will last for years to come will find plenty of exceptional options, thanks to the annual study conducted by J.D. Power. Don’t just buy any old used car, protect your money and future by purchasing vehicles that are known for their dependability, and ability to last mile after mile.
In Part II of this two-part series, we will detail the trucks, SUVs, crossovers, and minivans that managed to outshine their competitors in the area of dependability. Whether you are set on purchasing a capable pre-owned car, or prefer a larger and more practical vehicle like a crossover SUV, you will find excellent choices on the J.D. Power Dependability Study list from 2017.
Find Your Dependable Used Car with online.cars
online.cars has access to more than 100,000 used cars, trucks, and SUVs located at dealerships across the nation. If one of these dependable vehicles has caught your attention, be sure to head onto the online.cars website and let our team of experts find the exact make, model, and trim level you are hoping to purchase. For the easiest, most convenient, and least stressful car buying experience – trust in the power and targeted expertise of online.cars.